The M word. No one likes to talk about it, especially when you are a homeowner or potentially buying a home. But the reality is that Mold is very common. However, knowing what it is, the effects it has, and how to remedy it are very important to your health and the overall condition of your home.
What is Mold?
Mold is a type of fungus. Mold thrives on moisture and it can quickly spread in a home if not identified early. There are different types of mold and they are very common. Mold can grow on paper products cardboard, ceiling tiles, wood products, etc. Mold can cause a variety of health effects depending on the severity of the infestation. Mold can be found indoors and outdoors and is something that can be tested and mediated.
Where can Mold be found?
Mold can be found indoors and outdoors. As mentioned previously, Mold is attracted by moisture and it thrives on it. Mold can easily enter your home through open doors, windows, ventilation, your heating & air conditioning systems. There are a lot of building materials that can provide all the nutrients that Mold needs to grow such as ceiling tiles, wood, paper, drywall, insulation, fabric, etc. On the outside likes to attach itself to shoes, clothing, pets which then can be taken indoors.
What are signs that I may have Mold in my home?
There are some signs that you may need to be attentive to in order to properly identify if your home has Mold. However, the only way to truly know is to have the home tested. Here are some common signs of mold in a home:
Musty Smell - this sign is likely the most common. It is a strange odor that can be an immediate giveaway, now the smell can’t really confirm it is mold but at least it can give you a sense that something should be inspected.
Water Damage - If you recently discovered a leak that may have caused water damage, there may be an indication of a mold-like substance. Most of the time leaks can happen in areas where you may not notice them often such as your roof, inside your walls, garage where your water heater is, etc. However, if the leak was severe enough and not identified quickly, this is where Mold will thrive.
Bubbling, Warping - This can sometimes point out areas in the home that may have moisture. Bubbling of walls, cracking, warping of building materials such as paper, drywall, etc can be a key indicator of moisture where Mold can be active.
Water Damage - Maybe you just recently purchased a home and noticed discoloration in parts of your ceiling or walls. The home may have had previous plumbing issues that resulted in plumbing leaks and did not correct the water damage. When you have your Home Inspection your Home Inspector should be able to document these signs and bring them to your attention, but not necessarily be able to test for Mold.
What are some signs that might be affecting my health?
When mold may be present in your home these common signs have been reported and they usually show allergy-related symptoms. Due to them being common allergy-like symptoms, the number question you should ask yourself is if your symptoms get better once you go outdoors or leave your home? If you most likely experience these symptoms in your home, then Mold may be causing these health effects.
Sore or itchy throat
Congestion or runny nose
Itchy or irritated skin
How do you test for Mold?
Testing your home is a prudent way to prevent small problems from growing into a costly and unhealthy situation, and always avoid exposing yourself and others to mold. At Diamond Property Inspections, as your Home Inspector, I can also provide you with Mold testing services. Mold testing is not typically part of the Home Inspection process. However, as an experienced Home Inspector in Riverside County, I have invested in education and the right tools to test for Mold in order to keep you and your family safe.
Call us at: (951) 351-1855 to schedule your Home Inspection or Mold Testing with Diamond Property Inspections today.